Everyone can get on affiliate marketing if they know what to do. Basically, a person who has a sizable audience (may it be a blogger or an influencer) can go out there and search for affiliate programs.
Affiliate programs are basically contracts that affiliate marketers would have to agree to get on board. A lot of publishers and merchants out there are always looking for affiliates to help boost their business and improve sales.
However, is affiliate marketing still good in 2020? Can it be your friend or foe? Read on to find out.
What Are the Things that You Need to Start?
Honestly, the reason why affiliate marketing is quite popular even to this day is that there isn’t a lot of things that you need to do. All you need is a computer, an internet connection, and a platform with a sizable audience.
If you’ve been blogging for some time and you want to make money online, you can definitely use affiliate marketing to your advantage.
Why Do People Love It?
There are actually a lot of reasons why people delve into affiliate marketing. Here are just some:
- Flexibility- Since it is a performance-based digital marketing scheme, you pretty much have the freedom to allot how many hours you want on a given day to affiliate marketing. You can either put 2 hours a day to it or even more
- Multiple Revenue Streams- You can enroll to as many affiliate programs as you want, so long as you are able to fulfill everything that is required of you
- Requires No Huge Capital- As previously mentioned, all you really need is a good working computer, a reliable internet connection, and a platform with an already established audience
- Huge Potential Earnings- Lastly, you can earn thousands of dollars a month with affiliate marketing. Need I say more?
Are There Any Downsides?
Despite its benefits, there are some disadvantages to affiliate marketing as well. Here are just some of the common ones:
- Can Be Subject to Fraud- Affiliate links come with tracking cookies that can help affiliates earn money. Cookie stuffing is the act of referring people to your website but using shady things to put affiliate cookies into their devices. Affiliate fraud is common, though there are measures you can take to avoid it
- Fierce Competition- Because people do not really need to have anything huge to start affiliate marketing, you can expect fierce competition no matter what niche you choose
- Problem with False Advertising- Have you ever seen some online product reviews where the product literally doesn’t have any faults? They are most likely written by affiliates that are hungry for the money. This not only hurts their partner merchant’s brand but it can also hurt the reputation of ALL affiliates simply because people would assume that they do nothing but advertise poorly a certain product or service.
So, is affiliate marketing your friend or foe? Sure, there are a lot of benefits that it can bring, but there are also some pitfalls that you need to be aware of as well.
Remember that this is not for the faint of heart simply because you need patience and determination to succeed as an affiliate. If you’ve got what it takes, then go for it.